Like everybody else in the 21st Century, I use my smartphone as my alarm clock. And generally I’m happy with it, except for that panicky, frenzied vibration that the iPhone gives every time the alarm goes off.
So, how do you stop your iPhone alarm from vibrating and waking you up in a cold sweat?
I’ve got two solutions. One is a sledgehammer solution – you switch off all vibrations on your phone. The other is gentler – it involves switching off the vibration on just your phone’s ringtone. Either way, you’re going to be losing the vibrate when your phone rings, but if that’s acceptable to you, read on. I’m going to walk you through both methods.
Switch off the vibration on your ringtone only
This is my preferred solution. At least this way, you keep vibrations on other types of notification.
- So, on your iPhone, browse to the Settings app and go into Sounds.
- Scroll down to Sounds And Vibration Patterns and click into your Ringtone.
- You should see an option for Vibration. It’s usually set to Alert (Default), but you should go to the bottom of this screen and choose None instead.
- Now, test this out by going to your Clock app and testing the ringtone on the Alarm settings. It should sound the ringtone you’ve selected, but not vibrate. Set the volume of the ringer to your desired level by using the volume buttons on the side of the phone.
Disable Vibrate altogether
This is the all-consuming solution that I talked about up top. You may be fine with switching off your iPhone’s vibrate function altogether, so here’s how to do it.
- Open your Settings app and browse to Sounds.
- The Vibrate function is at the top of the page. Simply switch off Vibrate on Ring and Vibrate on Silent and this should effectively stop your phone buzzing, including the alarm.
- Once again, I suggest you test this by browsing into your iPhone’s clock settings.
That’s my solution to silencing the annoying vibrating alarm clock in iOS6. If you’ve discovered a better way, feel free to share it in the comments below!