I promised a while back that I would make the theme I use on this site available for free download.
Well, here it is. Called GerryBot, it’s a very minimalist one-column Drupal 6 theme. The original concept behind this theme was to have as little as possible on the page to distract from the content. Some of the features are:
- Single column design, but with support for blocks in the sidebar underneath the logo.
- Only two regions for blocks – in the sidebar area or underneath the content. Remember, the goal is to reduce on-page clutter.
- Primary links at top of page, secondary links at the footer of the page.
- Content area is 500px wide, uses 14px font size for good legibility. Body is a subtle grey shade, and the inner content area is white to focus the eye on the article.
- Based on a 960 Grid layout.
Now, the theme is in ‘beta mode‘ at the moment. I’ve never packaged a Drupal theme before, so I really would appreciate your feedback.
Usual Drupal theme installation advice applies:
- Unzip the archive and upload the gerrybot folder to your Drupal site to sites/*/themes
- Log on to Drupal as the administrator, go to Site Building -> Themes. Activate the theme (set it as default too) and then click Save Configuration.
- Visit the homepage of your site and the GerryBot theme should now be applied.
Whether it’s aesthetic details of the theme – font-sizes, colours of links, etc, or if GerryBot is missing support for common styling elements that occur in Drupal. Just let me know – either in the comments to this page, or use my contact form.